Recognize and Prevent These 5 Common Fire Hazards This Winter

holiday fire hazardsChristmas is a time of joyous celebration, but it is also the time when we are exposed to a variety of holiday fire hazards. Every year across the nation, there are numerous fatalities and injuries, not to mention loss of property, due to holiday fires. Beware of these fire hazards in your home.

1. Dry Christmas Tree

Choose your Christmas tree carefully, avoiding trees that are already shedding leaves (a little shedding is not a problem). Once you get the tree home, cut the bottom 2 inches off the trunk at a slant so it will take up water better. Always keep the tree holder full of water so the tree doesn’t dry out. Do not use products sold to extend the freshness of cut flowers. All the tree needs is water. Also, remember these tips:

  • Do not used damaged lights on the tree.
  • Avoid lighting candles near the tree.
  • Do not place the tree near the fireplace. Keep space heaters several feet away from the tree.
  • If the tree dries out and starts shedding leaves, replace it with a fresher one.

2. Damaged Lighting

As mentioned above, toss damaged lighting to avoid electrical hazards. Pay attention to the limits for stringing lights together in a single circuit.

3. Candles

It’s best to use battery-powered candles, but if you must have candles that burn with a flame, make sure they are not near anything flammable. Extinguish them when you go to bed or leave the house.

4. Sources of Heat

It’s possible to have a chilly Christmas in our region where you might need some extra heat, but do be cautious with fireplaces and space heaters. Keep a fire screen in front of the fireplace, and make sure the flue or chimney is clean before you build a fire. Keep flammable objects away from the fireplace.

5. Cooking

There’s a whole lot of cooking and baking going on during the holidays. Keep an eye on burners and the oven to prevent food from burning or boiling over.

For more on holiday fire hazards, contact NisAir Air Conditioning.

This entry was posted in Home Safety and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

What is 0 + 0 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
  • Click Here, For
  • » Call Us: 1 (772) 466-8115

  • Recent Posts

  • Topics


  • About Phil Jr. and Christine

    Phil Jr. and Christine Phil Jr. decided long ago to follow in his father’s footsteps working in the family business since he was a young teenager and Christine started working for NisAir in 1983 while still in high school. After graduation she continued to work at the business while attending the local community college for her career development... More »